Standards of Excellence
Physical Standards of Training for BE!-comers in Christ:
- Experience daily exercise AND training that results in optimum wellness and technique. Realize your strategic training regimen; apply your strategy with focused-intent; define the results with the attitude of Practice-to-Perfect! BE!-come your best by doing your best! (Proverbs 20:4 (NLT) “If you are too lazy to plow in the right season, you will have no food at the harvest.”).
- Nourish your body as God made it to BE! Discipline consumption and cleansing for overall wellness. (2 Corinthians 7:1 (NIV) “Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.”) (1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV) “Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.”)
- Discipline sufficient mental, physical, and spiritual rest for yourself in His Peace (Matthew 11:28-30 (NIV) “Come to me, all you who are weary & burdened, & I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you & learn from me, for I am gentle & humble in heart, & you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy & my burden is light.”) Exodus 20:8 (NLT) “Remember to observe the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. (Exodus 16:29a (NLT) “Realize that the Sabbath is the Lord’s gift to you.”) (Psalm 62:5-6 (NIV) “Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock & my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.”).
- BE!-alert & prepared for combat, that if necessary, & only out of justice & duty, you may bravely defend the weak, innocent, & yourself. Ephesians 6:10-11 (NIV) “Be strong in the Lord & in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” Proverbs 24:17 (NASB) “Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles; lest the Lord see it, and it displeases Him, and He turn away His wrath from him.”
- “Practice-to-Perfect” your movements. Define this attitude fervently in your training with focused-intent. Realize [thoroughly understand], APPLY [be able to teach and/or discuss], and DEFINE [articulate with precision, power & grace]: Line, Speed, and Beauty; Mechanics Attributes and Traits; Related training methods.
- Optimum muscle tone for wellness and strength in technique
- Total flexibility of the body for wellness and techniques
- Optimum breathing technique for wellness and endurance
- Continuous posturing during execution of technique
- Precise line, speed and beauty in all movement
- Mastering the Mechanics of Movement
- Speed control of technique
- Precise timing and distance
- Conditioning of hands and feet
- BE!-proficient in diverse climates and terrains. Rigorous training in the natural world results in experience. In all environments, perfect your skills as God enables. BE!-alert standing firm not only physically, but in your resolve to BE!-come all that Jesus Christ intends for you to BE
Standards of Excellence
Mental Standards of Training for BE!-comers in Christ:
- Be generous to everyone in need with loving-kindness. 2 Cor 9:11 “You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion.” Mt 25:31-46 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. “Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ “The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’ “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’ “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ “He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ “Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”
- BE!-loving to each other as a Family! Be a “soul-on-fire” with every family member! Allow the Holy Spirit to infill each family member with His Gal 5:22 “…love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” Col 3:12-15 “Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts.”
- Eph 6:1-3 “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother”—which is the first commandment with a promise—“that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”
- Parents, be dutiful to your children with steadfast love and goodness. Lead your children in righteousness. Be patient, gentle and kind as you lovingly teach them; forbear and forgive them as Jesus forgives you. Eph 6:4 “Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”
- Siblings, strive to respect each other with loving-kindness, forbearance and patience. Forgive one another.
- Be loving between husband and wife. Devote yourselves wholeheartedly to each other. All should honor marriage. Hebrews 13:4-5 “Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.”
- Be respectful and dutiful with loving-kindness to the weak, vulnerable, and the elderly. Protect their rights and 1Pe 5:5 “…be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
- Be faithful to friends. Cherish True Friends! Realize, apply & define friendship by imitating Christ, the truest most-defined Friend. Pr 27:17 “As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.” Pr 18:24 “Friends come & friends go, but a true friend sticks by you like family.”
- Be faithful to your CMA Instructor/Teacher. BE!-grateful that you BE!-came their labor of love in Christ. Recognize what is dutifully given by faith with deep conviction. Realize, apply & define a grateful attitude of duty, respect & humbleness. 2Th 2:15 So then… stand firm & hold to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.
- CMA Instructor Grades, BE!-an-example of a Christ-BE!-comer and faithfully commit to your Students in Jesus Christ. Ro 12:10 “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.” Replicate His model of teaching, commitment and devotion by obeying what He commanded: Jn 13:14-17 “Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them.” Mt 28:18-20 “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
(Above previous page:  Pastors Chuck Jackson & Terry Hancock evaluate Sifu Jeffrey Goodwin, Jr during his 1st Degree Black Belt - Instructor Grade Presentation; Below, I evaluate my daughter, Sifu Destiny Chim at her Presentation in 2-14)
- CMA Teacher Grades, 1Pe 5:2-4 “Be shepherds of God’s flock that is under your care, serving as overseers—not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away.” 2Pe 1:5-8 “For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 1Co 9:19, 22-23 “Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible. To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some. I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.”
- Be loyal and dutiful to your country. 1Pe 2:13-16 “Submit yourselves for the Lord’s sake to every authority instituted among men: whether to the king, as the supreme authority, or to governors, who are sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to commend those who do right. For it is God’s will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men. Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.”
Standards of Excellence
Spiritual Standards of Training for BE!-comers in Christ:
- Matthew 6:33 (NLT) “Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” Matthew 5:6 (NIV) “Blessed are those who hunger & thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.”
- Decide the Truth! Jesus reveals, John 14:6-7a (NIV) “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well.” Realize, apply, & define Jesus’ victory through the Romans Road of the Holy Bible.
- Completely surrender your will to Jesus Christ! BE!-every-second-surrendering to Him for Jesus lovingly taught us, Luke 9:23b (NLT) “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross daily, and follow me.”
- Love God with all of your being; & love others as yourself. Honor God by realizing, applying, & defining His commandments throughout your daily life! BE!-a-Servant-for-God! Matthew 20:26b-28 (NLT) “Whoever wants to be a leader among you must be your servant, & whoever wants to be first among you must become your slave. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others & to give his life as a ransom for many.”
- Imitate Christ’s Humility! Matthew 5:5 (NLT) “God blesses those who are humble, for they will inherit the whole earth.”
- BE!-The Golden Rule! Matthew 7:12 (NLT) “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.”
- BE!-saturated in the Word of God! Study, memorize and journalize the Holy Bible daily. Luke 11:28 “Blessed are those who hear the Word of God and obey it.”
- BE!-prayerful! Ephesians 6:18 (NLT) “Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.” Philippians 4:6-7a (NLT) “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand.
- 1 Corinthians 1:23a, 24b, 25 (NIV) “We preach Christ crucified: Christ the power of God & the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than human wisdom, & the weakness of God is stronger than human strength.” Therefore, Proverbs 3:5-6 (NLT) “trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take.” John 7:38 (NLT) “Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, ‘Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.’”
- BE!-Christ-centered! Passionately and faithfully commit to an “Every-Second-Jesus” relationship with Him. Galatians 2:20 (NIV) “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”
- BE!-a-Disciple of, and Discipler for, Jesus Christ with devoted spiritual fervor! Matthew 28:18-20 (NIV) “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Standards of Excellence
Attitudinal Standards of Training for BE!-comers in Christ:
BE!-the-attitudes of Jesus Christ:
The attitude of a BE!-comer in Christ (Christ-centered Martial Artist) is unique in that the practitioner of this methodology achieves “martial spirit”, key concepts, attitudes, intents (as in other great arts), but separates themselves in self-less devotion to Jesus Christ, aching to follow His will, not their own will or that of another “master’s.”
BE!-comers in Christ decide and commit to follow Him. It is this focused and determined martial spirit/intent/attitude that amplifies a BE!-comer-in-Christ’s burning desire to serve Jesus in obedience and love!
BE!-comers in Christ surrender their will, pick up their cross and follow the Lord becoming totally Spirit-Filled. They hunger and thirst for righteousness! Drawing from the bowels of humility, they offer God sacrifices of a broken spirit… a broken and contrite heart. They joyfully give unasked, through understanding, expecting nothing in return. They long for justice and truthfulness. Surface thinking has no place in the heart of a BE!-comer in Christ. Rather they lead a deep consistent pray life and training regimen with focused-intent; aching for the Word, yearning for God’s wisdom, BE!-ing a slave to Righteousness!
The attitudinal approach of a BE!-comer in Christ mirror’s the lyrics of Neil Diamond’s critically acclaimed song, “Be!”: “BE! As a page that aches for a word which speaks on a theme that is timeless! And the One God will make for your way. Sing as a song in search of a voice that is silent…” We are the page and the song; the Holy Bible is the Word; and Jesus Christ is the theme that is timeless! Discipline this resolve with certitude!
BE!-the attitudes of Jesus Christ! Realize, apply and define in your daily life the following Attitudinal Standards of Training for BE!-comers in Christ:
- Mt 5:3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.” Fortunate is the one who sees their truest need for Jesus Christ! They are blessed when they are:
- BE!-ing Every-Second-Completely-Surrendered to God's Will!
- Realizing His Mercy even though we don’t deserve it!
- Experiencing His Perfect Love with reciprocal love for Him with their whole being; and loving others as themselves!
- In a personal Every-Second-Jesus relationship with God!
- Realizing God’s Grace with thanksgiving for His Love! 2Co 8:9 “We know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sakes he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich.” Therefore, submit to Him, BE!-ing rich in humble obedience, faith and love by allowing the Word of Christ to dwell in you richly!
- Matthew 5:4 (NIV) “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” Realize God’s precious love for everyone. Yet, we sin and cause Him to grieve. We are blessed when we REALIZE (“real-eyes”) His hurt that we caused with our sins in spite of ALL that He lavishes upon us! 2 Corinthians 7:6-10 “Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death.” (Zec 12:10, 12 “And I will pour out on the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem a spirit of grace and supplication. They will look on me, the one they have pierced, and they will mourn for him as one mourns for an only child, and grieve bitterly for him as one grieves for a firstborn son. The land will mourn…”) (Isa 22:4 Therefore I said, “Turn away from me; let me weep bitterly. Do not try to console me over the destruction of my people.”) (Ro 9:2-5 I have great sorrow and unceasing anguish in my heart. For I could wish that I myself were cursed and cut off from Christ for the sake of my brothers, those of my own race, the people of Israel.”)
- “Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the world.” Meekness is strength, not weakness! Like the martial arts soft-styles, meekness reflects the spiritual “soft-style” of God Almighty’s Nature and Character. The Triune God is One, and His very Nature is pure “Soft-Style!” God’s Nature is Love, Joyfulness, Meekness/Humility/Prideless-ness, Peacefulness, Righteousness, Goodness, Faithfulness/Loyalty/Steadfastness, Patience/Forbearance/Forgiveness, Gentleness, Kindness, and Self-Control. As the Holy Spirit transforms His disciples into His like-ness we BE!-come like His Nature. Christ’s Humility is exemplified in Philippians 2:3-8 (NIV): “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility (Left: Pastors Peggy Wagner & I join Paul Hicks in reading scriptures at Sifu Destiny’s 2014 Presentation of her 1st Degree Black Belt - Instructor Grade; Below: Dans & Gups pose by the roots of trees during training on One Steps and Forms at a CMA Weekend Workout in 2013!) consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross!”
- Mt 5:6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.” Allow God to create in you the traits of righteousness that will identify you as His child. You belong to God, so keep away from anything evil. BE!-come ALL that Jesus Christ intends for you to BE! You will be transformed! You will BE!-like-Him! Relentlessly aspire to serve the Lord with all humility and goodness. Col 3:16a-17 “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom.” Nurture justice and decency with integrity and loving-kindness. Phil 4:8 “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things.” (The Parables of the Hidden Treasure and the Pearl Mt 13:44-46 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it.”) (Pr 11:4-6 “Wealth is worthless in the day of wrath, but righteousness delivers from death. The righteousness of the blameless makes a straight way for them, but the wicked are brought down by their own wickedness. The righteousness of the upright delivers them, but the unfaithful are trapped by evil desires.”)
- Matthew 5:7 (NIV) “Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.” Luke 6:36 (NIV) (character styles added for emphasis) “Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.” CMA Dan members must take this to heart and not abuse their training. Jesus Christ commanded us to BE!-merciful to everyone including our enemies! As Christ-Centered Martial Artists, humility, compassion, patient-endurance, and self-control must be the priority result of training! It was our precious Lord and Savior who taught us, Luke 6:27b-31, 35-36 (character styles added for emphasis) (NLT) “Love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you. Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, offer the other cheek also. If someone demands your coat, offer your shirt also. Give to anyone who asks; and when things are taken away from you, don’t try to get them back. Do to others as you would like them to do to you. Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to those who are unthankful and wicked. You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate.”
- Matthew 5:8 (NIV) “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.” Honor God by wholeheartedly seeking to live a godly life. Pray with honest-focused-intent asking God, Psalm 51:10-12 (NIV) “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.” Realize, apply, and define your spiritual disciplines in your daily lives.” Seek a pure heart by yielding your will to the Holy Spirit so He can totally in-fill you with His Spirit, then Phil 1:6, 9-11 (NIV) “be confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. And this is [our] prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.”
- Mt 5:9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.” Jesus so loving promised us, John 14:27 (NIV) “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.” “With the humblest obedience, Colossians 3:15-17 (NIV) “let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful.” 2 Corinthians 13:11 (NIV) “Aim for perfection, listen to my appeal, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.” “Ephesians 4:1b-3 (NIV) I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace.” As Christ-centered Martial Artists, don’t argue, seek His Peace. Don’t fight; BE!-a-peacemaker! Seek God’s Peace in everything you do. Seek to end all inner and outer conflict by totally surrendering your will to the Holy Spirit in humble adoration for Jesus Christ. Romans 15:5-7, 13 (NIV) “May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
- Mt 5:10-12 “Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you. “1Pe 2:21, 24 “To this you were called, because Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.” 2Ti 3:12-15 “In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.”